Building permit: 1928
Building material: Brick and metal lath and stucco
Building cost: $10,000
Architects: John and Alan McDonald
Founded in 1924 by Alan McDonald, the Community Playhouse spent its first two years hosting productions in a variety of locations, including its first show a Technical High School Auditorium in March 1925. One month later the new Community Playhouse presented “The Enchanted Cottage” on the stage at Mary Cooper Dance Studio at 40th and Farnam. In 1928, the playhouse lost one of its venues when the Cooper Dance Studio was converted into a chicken diner house. Under the guidance of Mrs. Genevieve and Alan McDonald, design drawings for a new playhouse had already been drafted by Alan and his father, architect John McDonald. While raising money for a permanent performing arts building, Mrs. Guiou made arrangements with Mrs. Joslyn to build a temporary structure on land referred to as Sarah’s “cow pasture.” Constructed in October 1928, the simply designed playhouse was built in 28 days. Opening night was October 30, with the audience standing outside while the last of the seats were bolted down and debris swept away for the performance of “Aren’t We All”.
With public support from the